Tuesday 10 April 2012

The Courtauld Gallery Visit with Film

So today we had our visit to The Courtauld Gallery in London with the 2nd year Film students.

I'd actually never been to The Courtauld Gallery before and was pleasantly surprised by some of the famous works that they exhibited. It was amazing to see some of the world's most famous pieces of art including Vincent Van Gogh's Self-Portrait with a Bandaged Ear (1889) and Piet Mondrian's Composition II in Red, Blue and Yellow (1930)


There were a lot of pieces that really stood out to me, though the two paintings that I was particularly drawn to in terms of this project were Renoir's La Loge (1874) and Manet's The Banks of the Seine at Argenteuil (1874). I realise that these are both of a similar era, and I think the feel of the 19th century is where I feel most comfortable at working for this project. I think both these paintings really hold the character in them, and have strong emotion to them. 


Obviously for us costumers the trip was quite relaxed as at this point we haven't been assigned which painting and film we will be working on. Though it was great to mingle with some of the Film students and hear some of their initial ideas. I'm really looking forward to the pitches on Friday and am excited to see what paintings have been picked as inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment